At East Wittering Community Primary School we believe that every child that attends our school has the right to enjoy and achieve to the best of their ability, to be kept safe, to be healthy and make a positive contribution, and gain an understanding of how to achieve economic well-being. 

  1. How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

At East Wittering we are committed to the early identification of special educational needs.  School assessment and monitoring arrangements will identify children who are not making the expected progress. If this happens the class teacher will consult with parents and the SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) in order to decide whether additional or different provision is necessary. The additional provision or arrangements may be related to speech and language, learning, behaviour or social communication skills.  In addition to the usual school assessment, there are specialist assessment tools which we use to explore the reasons for any difficulties. We also monitor changes in pupils’ behaviour and attitude.

There is no need for pupils to be named on the school SEND register (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) unless the school is taking additional or different actions to support children.   

If you are concerned about your child’s progress or believe they have a special educational need, you should discuss this with your child’s class teacher. This can be done at Parents Evening or by making a separate appointment.  Additional assessment or support can then be discussed with the SENCO.

  1. How will the school support my child?

We work hard to provide appropriate provision to all pupils including those with a special educational need. All teaching is planned to build on what a child already knows. Teachers have high but realistic expectations of all children and the children are clear about their targets. Rewards are given for appropriate behaviour and achievement.

The named SENCO for the school is Mrs A Powell. A member of the governing body, Mrs C Bacon, takes a particular interest in special educational needs, although the governing body as a whole is responsible for making provision for pupils with Special Educational Needs.

At East Wittering we will support your child in a variety of ways depending on their individual needs.  The first way is within the class where learning tasks will be matched to your child’s needs and will be overseen by the class teacher.

Additional provision may be through targeted small group work that takes place in or out of the classroom.   Your child’s targets will be set by the class teacher in collaboration with the SENCO.  A further level of provision may involve your child working individually with a member of staff to meet specific targets.

A child’s targets will be set out on an ILP (Individual Learning Plan) IPP (Individual Provision Plan) or IBP (Individual Behaviour Plan).  The individual plans will include support that is additional to or different from that provided as part of the school’s usual differentiated curriculum.

  1. How will the curriculum be matched to my child/young person’s needs?

At east Wittering we strive to provide an engaging and exciting curriculum for all children. Your child’s class teacher will plan for the variety of needs in the classroom by providing appropriate tasks and achievable outcomes to consolidate and extend children’s learning. A teacher may provide different resources for children to use, a different task from the rest of the class or an adult to support a child.   If extra support is provided for your child it will be planned in order to close the gap between your child’s attainment and that expected at their age.

  1. How will the school monitor the progress my child is making?

All children’s progress is monitored continually by his/her class teacher, the assessment manager and SENCO.

His/her progress is formally reviewed every term.  This is analysed by the Head Teacher Assessment Manager, Maths and English Managers and the SENCO.

Intervention programmes are reviewed at the end of every half tem to check they are having the desired effect on progress and individual learning plans are formally reviewed every term.

  1. How will I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

During your usual parent meeting appointments (Autumn and Spring Term) you will have time to share and agree your child’s individual targets with the class teacher. You will also receive an annual report during the Summer Term and the opportunity to discuss any concerns arising from this. 

You will also have the opportunity at parents evening to express your views about your child’s progress in relation to their ILP. The ILP identifies your child’s next steps to help them make progress. The class teacher will be able to advise you on how to help your child with these targets at home.  A copy of your child’s ILP will be sent home three times a year.

Regular contact may be through communication in your child’s homework book or reading record, by e mail, telephone calls or meetings.  Additional appointments can be made with the class teacher or SENCO.

If your child is seen by a specialist service they will write a report for school and home.  This will help you to understand your child’s particular needs and ways you can help them.

  1. How will my child contribute their views about their learning?


All children have the opportunity to contribute to the planning of each term’s topic by completing the topic overview which is sent home.  Children are also invited to pupil interviews in which they can express their views about what is going well at school.  The school council is an important voice for the children to make requests and resolve issues.  Children are asked in lessons to review how their work has gone and think about their next steps.  All children write an end of year review to communicate what has gone well for them; this accompanies their annual report.


Children who receive additional support have the opportunity to express their views about their learning.  These will be added to their ILP.


  1. What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

The well-being of all children in school is continually monitored.  In class the children follow the SEAL PSHE curriculum and we work on peer mediation (Peaceworks), buddies and other projects. In all classrooms there is a happy and sad box or poster for children to express how they are feeling.   At the start of an academic year children create a helping hand to identify adults and children in school they could turn to if needed.

If we are aware that a child is struggling emotionally we are able to signpost families towards appropriate support.

Healthcare plans, for disabilities or allergies, and pastoral support programmes can be used to meet specific needs. These will be drawn up between the child, parent, school and healthcare professionals. These are monitored and agreed at regular intervals.

All staff receive regular first aid and epi-pen training. Some members of staff also hold paediatric first aid certificates.

  1. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

External support services play an important part in helping the school identify, assess and make provision for children with special educational needs. 

These include:

  • Seeking advice from WSCC specialist advisory teaching services for learning, behaviour or social communication needs.
  • Seeking advice from specialists in sensory impairment, physical difficulties or the Occupational Therapy Department.
  • Visits and bookable appointments with the nominated Educational Psychologist for the school.
  • Advice and support (through regular visits) from the Speech and Language Therapist and contributions to the reviews of pupils with significant speech and language difficulties. We also have a locality Speech and Language Therapist.
  • Advice and support from the Primary Mental Health Worker and local Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) for children with emotional and behavioural needs.
  • Advice and support from the school nurse and community paediatrician (Child Development Centre, CDC, Westhampnett)
  • Multi-agency meetings (known as the Children and Young Person Planning Forum, CYPPF), with representatives from Children and Family Services, Social Care and Health. These are held to ensure effective collaboration in identifying and making provision for vulnerable pupils.
  • Targeted support for families on a variety of issues through the Family link Worker service.
  • Referral to the Education Welfare Service/Think Family
  • Ethnic Minority Achievement Team (EMAT)
  • Traveller Support Services
  • Social Services
  • Winston’s Wish charity

Before a school makes a referral to a specialist Service we will ask for your permission.

  1. What training are the staff supporting children with special educational needs having?

An annual audit of training needs for all staff is completed. A plan of training for each year takes into account school priorities and personal professional development. Particular support is given to new members of staff and to training that addresses children’s specific needs.

Most learning support assistants have attended the Speech and Language core training run by the NHS. Most staff have participated in behaviour management training from Team Teach.  Individual staff have also trained in Autism Awareness and Makaton.

Training can be accessed through NOVIO; a setting to setting network.

  1. How will my child be included in school trips outside of the classroom including school trips?

It is the school’s policy to enable every child to participate as fully as possible in all elements of the wider curriculum. All children attend school trips and residentials with support as appropriate.  Where necessary the school will meet with parents and carers to discuss individual needs prior to any visit or activity. Risk assessments are written for all visits and individual risk assessments can be written if considered necessary.  If 1:1 support is considered necessary a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child on a visit, in addition to the school staff.   

  1. How accessible is the setting?

East Wittering School has an accessibility policy (available on the school website) which is reviewed regularly.  As part of this review we ensure that the school environment is accessible for all children, including those with physical or sensory needs and for those for who English is an additional language.

  1. How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school and transfer to the next stage of education or life?

When you apply for a place for your child at the school we encourage you to share your concerns about your child’s special educational needs or pass on any information about any specialist services or agencies already working with you.  We will contact any previous educational establishment for relevant information. Any practical arrangements can then be discussed and put into place. 

At the end of the school year or if your child moves to another setting, the relevant staff communicate to pass on information and ensure that transition arrangements are in place. This includes transition between KS2 and KS3.  Additional transition visits and meeting can also be made to ensure transition is successful.    Social stories and transition booklets may be made with children who find it very hard to cope with change.

  1. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s individual special educational needs?

The school receives money on an annual basis to fund provision for Special Educational Needs. This is based on the number of pupils on roll who are on the SEN register; this varies from year to year. The money is allocated annually by the Governing Body when setting the school’s budget. It is used to pay for staffing and resources which support children with Special Educational Needs throughout the school.

In addition, there may be funding from the Government and WSCC to support individual children on specific programmes.  This includes Pupil Premium money and additional funds for children with a statement of Special educational Needs or EHCP (Education Health Care Plan).

  1. How is the decision made about the support my child will receive?

Every child’s needs are carefully assessed and decisions are then made based on the ability of a child to access the curriculum and make progress. The school SENCO will work closely with you and all staff to discuss relevant interventions, adult support and advice from specialist services to make best use of resources available.  We regularly assess the impact of any additional support and resources and report children’s progress to parents.

  1. How are parents involved in the school? How can I be involved?

Our arrangements for involvement and consultation with parents include: Parents’ Evening, new parent meetings, parent curriculum workshops, sharing assemblies, performances, in-class curriculum activities(e.g. DT afternoons), accompanying visits, join the ‘Friends of East Wittering,’ parent governors, family learning courses, volunteers to hear readers, volunteers to help children learn times tables and support with swimming.   We also welcome parents with a particular area of expertise or experience to come in to talk to the children.

Parents are able to give their views of the school through the annual questionnaire.  Individuals children’s progress is discussed at parents evening or by making an appointment with the child’s class teacher.

  1. Who can I contact for further information?

The first point of contact will always be your child’s class teacher. The SENCO at East Wittering School is Mrs A. Powell. Please contact the school office if you wish to make an appointment with her.  If after making contact with the school you have an unresolved issue then the usual complaints procedure should be followed. The complaints policy is available on the school website.